Saturday, October 20, 2012

No Star Is Out Of Reach

   The capacity to love and form attachments and be part of the human family is one of the great rewards of life. Nevertheless, despair can also be part of our existence.
     At those times of despair, when fear and worry beset us,  love can heal us. This beautiful poem invites us to wait. Wait for the light of love.

The Peace of Wild Things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

                  ~by Wendell Berry

   When we enjoy the love of another human being, the stars are within reach  and so is their light. Both the power of love and the grace of this world provide us with an enduring peace. 
    So I watch Celine Dion reach with her arms up to the sky. I will reach for those stars too. How about you? 





No comments:

Post a Comment