Friday, October 26, 2012

Love's Still Flowin'

You Turn Me On, I’m a Radio

If you’re driving into town with a dark cloud above you
Dial in the number who’s bound to love you
Oh honey you turn me on, I’m a radio
I’m a country station, I’m a little bit corny
I’m a wildwood flower waving for you
Broadcasting tower waving for you
And I’m sending you out this signal here
I hope you can pick it up loud and clear
I know you don’t like weak women
You get bored so quick
And you don’t like strong women
’Cause they’re hip to your tricks
It’s been dirty for dirty down the line
But you know I come when you whistle
When you’re loving and kind
But if you’ve got too many doubts
If there’s no good reception for me then tune me out
’Cause honey, who needs the static, it hurts the head
And you wind up cracking
And the day goes dismal
From Breakfast Barney to the sign-off prayer
What a sorry face you get to wear
I’m going to tell you again now if you’re still listening there
If you’re driving into town with a dark cloud above you
Dial in the number who’s bound to love you
If you’re lying on the beach with the transistor goin’
Kick off the sandflies, honey, the love’s still flowin’
If your head says forget it but your heart’s still smokin’
Call me at the station, the lines are open
           ~  Joni Mitchell

 Love can wipe away the dark clouds above you and help you survive the storms of life. Love is like a river, it keeps flowing. Music, like love, is an invisible wave.  When we listen to the radio, we are transported by the artist/musician to another world.
  Let love be your music. Look around at the things in life waving toward you and for you. Love beckons us unknowingly through nature: when you're lying on the beach, when you watch the wildflowers sway, or look at seagulls laughing in the sky. 
   What are  those things in life that are waving for you?  When we hear a love song on the radio,  we have access to a 24-hour technology to communicate the love that people in all nations feel. Joni Mitchell is not a afraid to use that metaphor to express her desires in this love song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment